Description of the Tour: St. Crisogono, situated in the square bearing its name, is one of the greatest and most ancient Roman basilicas. The original church dates directly back to 499 AD and was brought back to light by excavations that took place in 1924. The discovery of the early Christian
church happened in 1908 during a campaign of excavations done on behalf of the Minister of Fine Arts, even though the existence of ancient remains under the modern street level had already been noted.
This early Christian church has one nave furnished with a portico that distinguishes itself from other Roman examples by the presence of sides with apses containing two spaces, which functioned as a baptistery and a sacristy. Three lateral arches formed the entrance, while the back wall was closed off from the façade by a third century Roman house.